THE FINAL DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS TO THE ROYAL DRAGONFLY BOOK AWARD CONTEST IS OCTOBER 1, 2017.
The Royal Dragonfly Book Awards were established to honor published authors of all types of literature — fiction and nonfiction — in 62 categories, appealing to a wide range of ages and a comprehensive list of genres. Our judges are industry experts with specific knowledge about the categories over which they preside.
A Royal Dragonfly Book Awards seal on your book's cover tells readers they are reading a highly acclaimed publication. Book Contest winners garner instant credibility, attention from the media, and an opportunity to increase book sales. Also, recipients of Royal Dragonfly Book Awards can experience a heightened confidence and recognition from their peers and employers.
Our team realizes the avalanche of books released each year causes many great books to get overlooked by the media and general public. Therefore, we do not impose a limit on the year of publication for entries, which means winning a Dragonfly Book Award can breathe new life into your book's marketing strategies and give it renewed attention and appreciation by the book industry and readers alike.
One book contest winner will be chosen from all entries to receive the grand prize. The grand prize winning book must be outstanding in content, readability, entertainment value, and overall production. The grand prize winner will receive a $500 cash prize, a certificate commemorating their accomplishment, 100 Grand Prize seals (order more for an additional charge), a one-hour marketing consulting session with Linda F. Radke, a news release announcing the winners sent to a comprehensive list of media outlets, and a listing on the website.
All first place book contest winners of all categories will be put into a drawing for a $100 prize. In addition, each first place winner in each category receives a certificate commemorating their accomplishment, 25 award seals (order more for an additional charge), a news release announcing the winners sent to a comprehensive list of media outlets, and a listing on the website.
Note: A minimum score of 55 out of 80 must be earned, even if it is the sole entry in a category, to be eligible to win an award in the contest.
The awards contests are open to books published in any calendar year and in any country as long as they are available for purchase. Books entered must be printed in English. As long as they fit the above criteria, we accept traditionally published, partnership published and self-published books.
One title, one category: $65.00
More than one book: $60 per book
More than one category: $60 per category
More than one book and category: $60 per book, per category
We accept payment by check, credit card or via PayPal.
Participants must complete a separate entry form for each title and for each category the book is entered. Send entry form(s) with two (2) copies of each book for each category, and check (if applicable) payable to Story Monsters LLC to:
Attn: Royal Dragonfly Book Awards
1271 Turkey Street
Hardwick, MA 01082
Payment and Book Submission Scenarios:
- If you want to enter one title in one category, mail two copies of the book and one entry form and the entry fee would be $65.
- If you want to enter two different books in the same single category, mail two copies of each book and two entry forms; the entry fee would be 2 x $60 or $120.
- If you want to enter one title in three categories, mail six copies of the book and three entry forms (one filled out for each category); the entry fee would be 3 x $60 or $180.
- If you want to enter three titles in one category each, mail two copies of each book and three entry forms (one filled out for each category); the entry fee would be 3 x $60 or $180.
- If you are entering more than one book, you may mail all entries in the same envelope and write one check for the total entry fee. All books will be returned and will be donated once the contest is completed and winners are announced.
The final deadline for submissions to the Royal Dragonfly Book Award Contest is October 1, 2017.
To be eligible, submissions must be postmarked October 1, 2017 or earlier. Any submission postmarked after that date will not be considered for an award and books will not be returned. However, we will refund the entry fee.
You may enter as many books as you like in each of the following categories. You may also enter single titles in multiple categories. The categories are the same for the Printed Book section of the contest as they are for the eBook portion. Just be sure to download the entry form that corresponds with section you want to enter:
- Aging, Senior Living
- Best Cover Design
- Best Interior Design
- Best Photography/Illustrations
- Biography, Autobiography/Memoir
- Book Trailer
- Book Series
- Business & Finance
- Children's Activity Books
- Children's Chapter Books
- Children's Picture Books - 5 & Younger
- Children's Picture Books - 6 and older
- Children's Poetry
- Coffee Table & Gift Books
- Comic Books
- Fiction: Collection of short stories
- Fiction: Novel
- Fine Art, Photography
- Food-Related: Cookbooks, Food Travel, Food History, About Food
- Graphic Novel
- Health, Diet, Nutrition
- Historical Fiction
- History Non-Fiction
- Home & Garden
- Letters, Journals, Diaries
- Media Kit
- Middle Grade Fiction
- Multicultural, Gay/Lesbian, Cultural Diversity
- Newbie Award (first time author, fiction)
- Newbie Award (first time author, non-fiction)
- Other Non-Fiction
- Performing Arts, Music, Movies, TV
- Pets, Animals
- Press Release
- Religion, Spirituality, Philosophy
- Science & Technology
- Science Fiction & Fantasy & Paranormal
- Self Help, Inspirational
- Special Needs/Disability Awareness
- Sports & Exercise
- Text Books
- Unpublished Manuscript (for print books only)
- Women's Interests
- Young Adult Fiction
- Young Adult Non-Fiction
- Youth Author Fiction (Author is age 17 or younger)
- Youth Author Nonfiction (Author is age 17 or younger)
Judging will be based on content, originality and overall readability, with emphasis on innovation and creativity. Our judging panel includes industry experts in specific fields as well as experts in editing, bookselling, and publishing. Every entry will be read by the judges, whose decisions are final. Top award winners will be notified by mail on or before November 15, 2017. Prizes and awards certificates for the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards will be mailed following notification.
The contest coordinators reserve the right to switch the category for an entry, to cancel a category if the number of entries is insufficient, or to decide not to have a winner if the level of the best entries is not up to publishing industry standards. Any entry not conforming to the guidelines will be disqualified without author notification. There will be no refund for disqualified entries.
A minimum score of 55 out of 80 must be earned, even if it is the sole entry in a category, to be eligible to win an award in the contest.