We are accepting submissions for the 2019 Purple Dragonfly Book Awards. Deadline to enter is Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
In 2009, the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards were conceived with children in mind. Not only do we want to recognize and honor accomplished authors in the field of children's literature, but we also want to highlight up-and-coming, newly published authors, and younger published writers.
Divided into 56 distinct subject categories ranging from books on the environment and cooking to sports and family issues, and even marketing collateral that complements a book, the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards are geared toward stories that appeal to children of all ages. We are looking for books that are original, innovative and creative in both content and design. A Purple Dragonfly Book Awards seal on your book's cover, marketing materials, or website tells parents, grandparents, educators, and caregivers that they are giving children the very best in reading excellence. Our judges are industry experts with specific knowledge about the categories over which they preside.
Being honored with a Purple Dragonfly Book Award confers credibility upon the winner and gives published authors the recognition they deserve and provide a helping hand to further their careers.
One book contest winner will be chosen from all entries to receive the grand prize. The grand prize winning book must be outstanding in content, readability, entertainment value, and overall production. The grand prize winner will receive a $500 cash prize, a certificate commemorating their accomplishment, 100 Grand Prize seals (order more for an additional charge), a one-hour marketing consulting session with Linda F. Radke, a news release announcing the winners sent to a comprehensive list of media outlets, a listing on the website and in Story Monsters Ink magazine, and a feature on the Dragonfly Book Awards homepage.
All first place book contest winners of all categories will be put into a drawing for a $100 prize. In addition, each first place winner in each category receives a certificate commemorating their accomplishment, 25 award seals (order more for an additional charge), a news release announcing the winners sent to a comprehensive list of media outlets, and a listing on the website and in Story Monsters Ink magazine.
Note: To be eligible to win an award in the contest, A minimum score of 55 out of 80 must be earned,
even if it is the sole entry in a category.
The Purple Dragonfly Book Award Contest is open to children's books, eBooks, and marketing collateral. We accept traditionally published, partnership published and self-published books provided that they are available for purchase and are printed in English. It does not matter what year or in which country a book is published to be eligible.
On or before March 1, 2019: $60 per category
After March 1, 2019: $65 per category.
We accept payment by credit card and Paypal.
Participants must complete a separate entry form for each book entered. At checkout, change the quantity to indicate the number of categories entering for one book and fill out the form on the next screen. If submitting more than one book, after item is added to the cart, begin the process again by changing the quantity and clicking on "Add to Cart." Books will not be returned and will be donated once the contest is completed and winners are announced.
Mail two (2) copies of each book for each category in which it is entered. Along with the books, send one (1) printed copy of the email confirmation per title for each category in which the book is entered. When submitting more than one book, all entries can be sent in the same envelope. Mail entries to:
Attn: PURPLE Dragonfly Book Awards
1271 Turkey Street
Hardwick, MA 01082
Email one (1) electronic copy of the book and a copy of the email confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PURPLE DRAGONFLY BOOK AWARDS” as the subject.
Mail two (2) copies of each book and two (2) copies of each marketing/promotion material for each marketing category entered. Along with the books and marketing materials, send one (1) printed copy of the confirmation email per marketing/promotion item for each category. All entries can be sent in the same envelope. If entering a book trailer, email link to email@example.com with “PURPLE DRAGONFLY BOOK AWARDS” as the subject. Mail entries to:
ATTN: PURPLE DRAGONFLY BOOK AWARDS
1271 TURKEY STREET
HARDWICK, MA 01082
EARLY BIRD PRICING: $60 per category for submissions completed on or before March 1, 2019, after which the fee is $65 per category.
THE FINAL DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS TO THE PURPLE DRAGONFLY BOOK AWARD CONTEST IS MAY 1, 2019.
To be eligible, submissions must be postmarked on or before May 1, 2019. Any submission postmarked after that date will not be considered for an award and books will not be returned. However, we will refund the entry fee.
For the 2019 Purple Dragonfly Book Award contest, top award winners will be notified by email the week of June 15, 2019.
You may enter as many books as you like in each of the following categories. You may also enter a single title in multiple categories. The categories are the same for both printed books and eBooks.
- Activity Books
- Activity Kits
- Animals/Pets (Books about animals and family pets)
- Arts/Music (Books that help children develop an appreciation for art, theater, photography, music, etc.)
- Best cover design
- Best Illustrations
- Best interior design
- Best Photography
- Board Books
- Chapter Books
- Charity/Making a difference (Books that teach children the importance of giving and showing compassion for others in need)
- Children's Non-Fiction
- Collecting/Hobbies (Books about hobbies for children)
- Comic Books
- Cultural Diversity (Books that impart an appreciation for different cultures, races and ethnicities)
- Educational/Instructional (How-to books and books that teach, such as books on math or how to fly a kite)
- Exercise/Fitness (Books that teach children how to keep physically fit.)
- Family matters (Books that deal with issues affecting the family, such as divorce, adoption, a new baby, moving, etc.)
- Fiction: Collection of short stories
- Food-Related (Cookbooks, food travel, food history, about food)
- General (Any categories not listed)
- Graphic Novel
- Green Books/Environmental Issues (Books dealing with environmental issues, recycling, conservation of our planet's resources, etc.)
- Growing Pains (Books that help children understand the changes they go through as they mature)
- Health (Books on general health topics that teach children how to lead healthy lifestyles)
- Historical Fiction
- History Non-Fiction
- Holiday-Themed Books
- Letters, Journals, Diaries
- Middle Grade Fiction
- Outdoor Recreation (Books on outdoor activities that can be enjoyed by children and the whole family, such as camping, hiking, fishing, etc.)
- Picture Books - 5 & Younger
- Picture Books - 6 & Older
- School Issues (Books dealing with issues children may encounter at school, such as bullying, making new friends, etc.)
- Science Fiction/Fantasy & Paranormal
- Special Needs/Disability Awareness
- Spiritual/Religious (Books that address religion and/or spiritual matters, including books on death and grieving.
- Sports (Books about sports and/or athletes)
- STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) — NEW!
- Text Books
- Unpublished Manuscript (for print books only)
- Young Adult Fiction
- Young Adult Non-fiction
- Youth Author Fiction (Author is age 17 or younger)
- Youth Author Nonfiction (Author is age 17 or younger)
Marketing pieces are an integral component to a successful book campaign. Do you have marketing or promotion materials to complement your book that sizzle? We have categories just for that! Enter your marketing pieces now and let others know how it's done!
- Book Trailer
- Media Kit
- Press Release
Judging will be based on content, originality and overall readability, with emphasis on innovation and creativity. Our judging panel includes industry experts in specific fields as well as experts in editing, book selling, and publishing. Every entry will be read by the judges, whose decisions are final. For the 2019 Purple Dragonfly Book Award contest, top award winners will be notified by email the week of June 15, 2019. Prizes and awards certificates for the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards will be mailed following notification.
The contest coordinators reserve the right to switch the category for an entry, to cancel a category if the number of entries is insufficient, or to decide not to have a winner if the level of the best entries is not up to publishing industry standards. Any entry not conforming to the guidelines will be disqualified without author notification. There will be no refund for disqualified entries.
A minimum score of 55 out of 80 must be earned, even if it is the sole entry in a category, to be eligible to win an award in the contest.
Click on the Link below to enter. A separate form must be completed for each book that you enter. Change the quantity to indicate the number of categories entering for one book. If submitting more than one book, after item is added to the cart, begin the process again by changing the quantity and clicking on "Add to Cart."
You will receive a confirmation email once you've completed your order. Please print out a copy of this email and include with your mailed submissions.