Kid-Tested, Story Monster Approved!
We are always accepting submissions — there is no deadline to enter. Submissions are judged as they are received.
The Story Monsters Approved! book designation program was developed to recognize and honor accomplished authors in the field of children’s literature that inspire, inform, teach, or entertain. A Story Monsters seal of approval on your book tells teachers, librarians, and parents they are giving children the very best.
Kids know when they see the Story Monsters Approved! seal, it means children their own age enjoyed the book and are recommending they read it, too. How do they know that? Because after books pass a first round of rigorous judging by industry experts, the books are then judged by a panel of youth judges who must also endorse the books before they can receive the official seal of approval.
Story Monsters Approved!:
All authors earning a Story Monsters Approved! designation receive a certificate commemorating their accomplishment; 50 award seals (order more for an additional charge); a news release sent to a comprehensive list of media outlets announcing the books designated as Story Monsters Approved!; and listings on our website and in Story Monsters Ink® magazine.
Book of the Year:
All Story Monster Approved! titles will be considered by a separate panel of judges for Book of the Year. This book must be outstanding in content, readability, message, and overall production and is truly a book worth devouring! One book will be chosen for this honor. In the event of a tie, the Contest Director will make the final decision. The Story Monsters Approved! Book of the Year winner will receive an advertorial, which includes a featured interview and a full-page ad in Story Monsters Ink® magazine (a $1600 value); a certificate commemorating their accomplishment; 50 Story Monsters Approved! seals (order more for an additional charge); a news release sent to a comprehensive list of media outlets announcing the books that are Story Monsters Approved!; listings on our website and social media pages; and a feature on the Dragonfly Book Awards homepage.
The Story Monsters Approved! book designation program is open to printed children’s books published in any calendar year. Books entered must be printed in English. Authors ages 17 and younger must have parent or guardian permission to enter.
$65 per category
We accept payment by credit card and Paypal.
Participants must complete a separate entry form for each book entered. At checkout, change the quantity to indicate the number of categories entering for one book and fill out the form on the next screen. If submitting more than one book, after item is added to the cart, begin the process again by changing the quantity and clicking on “Add to Cart.” Books will not be returned and will be donated after announcement of books earning a Story Monsters Approved! designation.
Mail five (5) copies of each book for each category in which it is entered. Along with the books, send one (1) printed copy of the email confirmation per title for each category in which the book is entered. When submitting more than one book, all entries can be sent in the same envelope. Mail entries to:
Attn: Story Monsters Approved!
1271 Turkey Street
Hardwick, MA 01082
There is no deadline to enter. Submissions are judged as they are received.
You may enter as many books as you like in each of the following categories. You may also enter a single title in multiple categories.
- Young Author (Ages 17 and under) – Fiction
- Young Author (Ages 17 and under) – Non-Fiction
- Board books (Birth-age 3)
- Picture books (Ages 3–8) – Fiction
- Picture books (Ages 3–8) – Non-Fiction
- Early Readers (Ages 5–9) – Fiction
- Early Readers (Ages 5–9) – Non-Fiction
- First Chapter Books (Ages 6–10) – Fiction
- First Chapter Books (Ages 6–10) – Non-Fiction
- Middle-Grade Books (Ages 8–12) – Fiction
- Middle-Grade Books (Ages 8–12) – Non-Fiction
- Tween Novels (Ages 10-14)
- Young adult (YA) novels (Ages 13 and up)
- Tween/YA Non-Fiction
- First-Time Author (all ages)
- Making a Difference: Books that teach children the importance of giving and showing compassion for others in need.
- Cultural Diversity: Books that impart an appreciation for different cultures, races, and ethnicities.
- Education/Reference: Study aids, “how-to” books, and books that stimulate the mind to teach about subjects such as history, math, science, foreign languages, government, money/saving, etc.
- Family Matters: Books that deal with issues affecting the family, such as divorce and separation, adoption, new baby, moving, illness, sexuality, growing up, etc.
- Green Living/Environmental Issues: Books dealing with topics such as, recycling, conservation of our planet's resources, sustainability, pollution, ecosystems, etc.
- Health & Medicine: Books on health and wellness topics, including how to lead healthy lifestyles, fitness, diseases, issues related to mental health, special needs/disability awareness, etc.
- School Life: Books dealing with issues children may encounter at school, such as bullying, friendship, social skills, self-esteem, peer pressure, dating, first day of school, academic issues, etc.
- Spirituality/Religion: Books that address religion, spiritual matters, and death and grieving, etc.
Book of the year
To be named as Story Monsters Approved! Book of the Year, the book must be outstanding in content, readability, message, and overall production. This is a book truly worth devouring! All Story Monsters Approved! titles will be considered by a separate panel of judges for Story Monsters Approved! Book of the Year. Only one book will be chosen. In the event of a tie, the Contest Director will make the final decision.
Judging will be based on content, originality and overall readability, with emphasis on messages that inspire, inform, teach, or entertain. Our judging panel includes industry experts in specific fields as well as experts in education and publishing. Every entry will be read by the judges, then sent to a panel of student-judges. Prizes and certificates will be mailed following notification. Any entry not conforming to the guidelines will be disqualified without author notification. There will be no refund for disqualified entries.
Click on the link below to enter. A separate form must be completed for each book that you enter. Change the quantity to indicate the number of categories entering for one book. If submitting more than one book, after item is added to the cart, begin the process again by changing the quantity and clicking on “Add to Cart.”
You will receive a confirmation email once you've completed your order. Please print out a copy of this email and include it with your mailed submissions.